*The following post is my opinion and what works for our family, under no circumstances do I ever judge or criticize what other families choose for education, whether it be, public, private or homeschool. For us it was a calling…
When my eldest was around 3 years old, I was watching a program on TV and it had a mother talking about homeschooling her kindergartener and a couple other moms disagreeing with her idea. I had NEVER considered homeschooling, but I found myself agreeing more with the mom wanting to homeschool. This was a new concept to me and I decided to explore it. After reading and researching about homeschooling, I decided this was what I wanted to do. I felt God planted this seed in me for a reason. I didn’t feel comfortable handing over my baby to other people just because he turned 5 and was expected to attend school. It felt very unnatural to me. Once I got my husband on board, we never looked back. And thus the journey began…
Here are 25 reasons why I homeschool:
1. My husband and I are the main influences in our children’s lives.
2. I get to spend lots of time with my kids (I know right, crazy!)
3. It develops a stronger sibling bond.
4. My children can go at their own pace.
5. We can provide an well-rounded education.
6. We can share our faith with our children on a daily basis and intertwine it through their subjects.
7. We can get lots done in a short amount of time.
8. Lots of one-on-one direction.
9. The kids have more time to develop their talents…piano, soccer, dance, art etc…
10. Our children are spared the playground antics.
11. Our kids are not peer-oriented.
12. I don’t have to pay for their education.
13. They can join extra-curricular activities and we don’t feel like they’re missing out on family time.
14. I get to witness them: learning to read, have the lightbulb go on and have an ah-ha moment.
15. There’s lots of time for discussion.
16. There’s lots of time for reading.
17. They’re in touch with their community on a regular basis…library, grocery store, community
18. We get to go on lots of field trips.
19. I can make sure they’re eating healthy meals and finishing it.
20. We can spend time with my husband if he has a day off during the week.
21. We can take holidays whenever we want and not during peek seasons.
22. We can do “school” outside.
23. There is no homework!
24. My children socialize with people of all ages and not just kids the same age as them.
25. I get to pour my wisdom, love and knowledge into them each and every day!